Sal Khan Net Worth 2022
How much is Sal Khan Worth?
Sal Khan is an American educator that is known for his online videos via YouTube. As of 2022, Sal Khan net worth is estimated at $260 million. His popularity stems from being known as the founder and CEO of Khan Academy. One day, he hopes to see his online learning institution to be held in such high regards and talks as other prestigious universities (i.e. Harvard, Yale, Princeton).
Famous Quotes by Sal Khan: “I grew up with plenty of smart people. They would beat me at chess; they could solve brain teasers before I could, but then they would struggle in algebra. These were incredibly smart people who simply did not have the foundation in math that I did.”
- “Our goal with Khan Academy Kids is to inspire a life-long love of learning.”
- “At a lot of college graduations, you’ll hear people say, ‘Follow your passions,’ and that is important, but no one talks about the stress of not having enough money, the issues of debt, and the issues of work stress.”
|Current location||Mountain View, California|
|Education||Massachusetts Institute of Technology: (B.S., M.S.); Harvard University: M.B.A.|
|Source of Wealth||Khan Academy, YouTube Channel, Sponsors|
|Relationship status||Married to Umaima Marvi (2004 – present)|
|Net worth||$260 million|
|Last updated||January 2022|
How much money does Sal Khan make?
Sal Kahn initially earned his fortune through the YouTube channel platform. Here is an overview and rough estimate of his yearly, monthly, weekly, daily, and hourly income. Please keep in mind that the amount of money that he earns is taxable; in which, he falls under the highest tax bracket. Thus, financial planning plays a key role in establishing both short and long-term goals along the path to building wealth.
- Yearly Income: $44 million
- Monthly Income: $3,666,667 million
- Weekly Income: $846,153 thousand
- Daily Income: $120,548 thousand
- Hourly Income: $5,023
How did Sal Khan get rich?
After graduating from MIT, Sal Khan started his first job as a product manager for Oracle. At the age of 22, he left that software related job to work as a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for a startup company. He eventually went back to college to attend Harvard business school. During this process, he decided to pursue a career as a hedge fund financial analyst back in 2003 after learning they can make well over $100,000 a year. In 2006, he began a nonprofit organization named Khan Academy online via YouTube; in which, he was able to quit his job in late 2009. It quickly grew in popularity and views which allowed him to generate multiple streams of income to build wealth. As each YouTube video is considered an asset and has the ability to go viral and thereby provide millions of dollars in earnings per year. In addition, every year he receives $1-3 million in financial support from the Gates Foundation and other large foundations. Small donors also participate in giving on a regular basis or one time donation.
Who is Sal Khan? Originally named Salman Amin Khan, Sal was born on October 11, 1976 (age 45) in Metairie, Louisiana to Masuda and Dr. Fakhrul Amin Khan. He was the child of immigrants, as his mother was a citizen of Murshidabad, India and his father was from Barisal, Bangladesh. While growing up in the state of Louisiana, he attended Grace King High School and graduated valedictorian of his class in 1994.
The following are a list of his achievements and awards:
- Worked as cartoonist while in high school
- Achieved a perfect score on the math portion of his SAT exam
- Graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the areas of mathematics, engineering, and computer science
- Graduated from Harvard University with a masters degree in business administration
- Started a job as a hedge fund financial analyst in Boston (2003)
- Married his wife Umaima Marvi, a Pakistani physician (2004)
- Became the founder and CEO of Khan Academy (2006)
- Invited to speak at TED conference by Bill Gates in March (2011)
- Authored a book titled “The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined” (2012)
- Listed as TIME’s 100 Most Influential People (2012)
- Received the Heinz Award in the area of Human Condition (2014)
- Launched and became the founding CEO of Schoolhouse.world (2020)
- Awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Harvard University (2021)
Khan Academy is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization with the mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. In which, Sal Khan is the founder of the world’s largest virtual academy with over 15 million students. This company was birthed from the idea of Salman creating YouTube videos in order to assist his cousins that needed help with math and eventually science. As of July 2021, these videos have been translated into dozen of languages and viewed over 1.8 billion times.
The following list consists of accomplishments and support received by the online educational institution thus far:
- Recipient of the Microsoft Education Award at the Tech Awards event (2009)
- Funded $2 million by Google as part of Project 10^100 to further assist with making online educational content for free (2010)
- Carlos Slim Foundation pledged to invest over $300 million with the goal of having Khan Academy videos translated into the Spanish language (2013)
- Recognized as the official SAT preparation website (2015)
- Teamed up with Pixar to develop a new educational course named Pixar in a Box (2015)
- Recipient of the Shorty Award for Best in Education (2016)
- Recognized as the official practice partner for the College Board’s Advanced Placement in July (2017)
- Created an application known as Khan Academy Kids (2018)
- Funded $12 million by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to support the continued development of Khan Academy in grades 3-12 mathematics (2020)
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk donated $5 million through his Musk Foundation (2021)
Influencer Sal Khan at TED Conference
Salman Khan at Forbes